While I will continue to shout from the mountain top all the reasons I’m loving my 50s, I also admit that this aging game is not “all play and no work”. Mother Earth, Father Time and I are in a dance off of sorts. A shot of gravity here, a touch of sun damage there, and a dash of dehydration: it’s a showdown every day.
Because while I believe it is ok to grow older (life’s next adventure!) I reject the notion of getting old, I am building an anti-aging toolkit that works for me. A few products and practices that I’m adding to my personal Best of 2016 list:
- Microdermabrasion: I’ve written about the benefits of this little miracle in more than one past. But a picture is worth a thousand words. Me, no filter, no makeup, just fresh, clean skin.
- Rodan + Fields: I’m the world’s worst at adherence. I try to do better but sticking with a routine, day in and day out, is not my strong suit. Really. Is there a word for routine avoidance? I have learned the expensive way that a 1-2-3 skincare regimen is not a practice I can preach. However, R+F’s Redefine Night Renewing serum is a product I love and happily endorse. NOTE: I do not sell R+F, nor do I buy any products except this one. Final words about this product: it’s magic in a jar.
- Neutrogena hand cream: as soon as the temperature drops below 60 degrees my hands want to pack a bag for the tropics. Since my hands are attached to me and I can’t afford to winter in the Caribbean, I have done an exhaustive search for hand cream. I have tried them all. Neutrogena is my brand, hands down (pun intended).
- Wella Brilliance Duo Color Care for fine/normal hair: smells good, returns moisture to my hair that went missing for awhile, cannot live without it.
- Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil: expensive? Yes. But it lasts forever because you only need 1-2 drops to look like you just left your stylist.
- Last but not least are all those tips that are emblazoned on your brain but are still hard to follow: drink water, take vitamins, get enough rest, use sunscreen, blah, blah, blah. All true. If I don’t follow this advice, my face, my hair and my skin show it.
Any anti-aging secrets you would like to share?
“When it comes to staying young, a mind-lift beats a face-lift any day.” Marty Bucella