Drawn especially to older people that defy their chronological ages, some of my best friends are sharp-witted, vital, engaged and, coincidentally, in their 80s and 90s. I have soaked up advice and the life lessons on aging well from matriarchs and patriarchs across the globe.
Five secrets to re-discover the fountain of youth:
- Add turmeric to your diet. “Turmeric has been used in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory, to treat digestive and liver problems, skin diseases, and wounds.”
- Experience the healing waters of a natural mineral spring: as an adult I bathed in a naturally occurring warm mineral spa, Milk River Bath, Jamaica and as a child I drank natural mineral water my father and my uncle regularly collected in jugs from Seven Springs, North Carolina.
- Moisturize with argan oil and coconut oil: I apply both to my body from head to toe, more effective and more economical than the highest-end lotions and potions for sale online and in stores. Argan oil is non-comedogenic, meaning it does not clog skin pores. Coconut oil works best for those of us with middle of the road skin, not too oily, not too dry.
- Drink 4 oz tart cherry juice (or use the powdered formulation) for its anti-inflammatory properties including reduction of joint pain and the discomfort of osteoarthritis.
- Walk, simply walk, all around this amazing world.
Milk River Bath, Clarendon, Jamaica